BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday 17 September 2010

Music Tracks

When trying to choose a potential track for my music video, I came across many different genres and looked at as many songs as I could so that I could keep my options open and keep a broad mind about what I wanted my video to look like.

I first thought about using a song from the dance genre as I felt this would enable me to work more freely with the footage that I'd shoot and would give me more ideas to work with. This also meant that the editing would have to be quick and sharp on order to keep up with the beat and retain the fast pace the video required.
The song that I thought would be good for this was The Ting Tings - That's Not My Name. This was because as there was not much happening in the original video, I felt that there was a lot for us to play with as a group. One of the idea's we had as a group (Disha, Frankie and myself) was when the line "They call me ...." was to have jump cuts of different people's faces on a close up shot and we felt that this would mirror the lyrics.



The next song I thought would work well for us as a group was Everytime We Touch - Casada. We felt that this would be a good possible track as the beat was fast and when thinking about it, we thought we had quite a lot of good ideas to put towards the video. The majority of the video would have consisted of fast jump cuts which would have included a number of shots, varying from close ups to long shots of the main performer. There would also be shots showing a club/party scene.

After a while of searching through different dance/pop songs, I felt that going for a completely different approach that I didn't think anyone else would help us to succeed. As the criteria only allowed us to use a song that wasn't released in the last 10 years or had a popular video, I thought looking at Radio 1 Live Lounge covers would enable us to be opened up to a whole new range of unreleased music.

As a group, we began to search through the several Live Lounge covers that had been performed and there were two songs that particularly stood out to us. The first was a cover of Kesha's Tik Tok by Example and the second was a cover of Linkin Park's Numb by Jamelia. Neither of the two songs had been officially released or had an official video produced for them so they fell perfectly into our criteria.
Ultimately after a long discussion as to which we thought we would be able to produce a video to more effectively, we decided to go with Jamelia's cover of Numb.

0 comments: